Friday, October 31, 2014

Med center visit update - Oct 31

I truly have not intended to let it all go to neglect, but life the past few days just snowballed and I am finally getting to update.  Thank you for covering our backs in prayer and checking in with us even when I don’t have it together, not that I really ever do, just might occasionally look like I do.

We ventured back into the med center yesterday.  I suppose I could call it uneventful, but it’s always just crazy stressful between traffic and the infernal wait.  I could just count my blessings that we weren’t in the line of folk that were sitting in the transfusion room waiting on chemo or blood that was running hours behind.  We were privileged.  We could be prodded for blood, see the doctors and leave.

Overall, Asa is good and we are on a forward moving path.  The results of his AFP, cancer blood marker, were up a tiny bit yesterday from 10 to 15, but not a concerning jump.  As his liver grows and things adjust, this is very possible.  He weighed in at a whopping 25 ½ pounds and for those of you who have been along for the entire long ride, you know this is a huge move toward full return to normalcy.  It was a very sweet thing to see the doctors so genuinely thrilled and grinning ear to ear at Asa’s progress.  My heart often hurts for them, as I know they are so often the bearers of bad news.  I know the names and faces and parents of so many who’ve not won the race in the here and now.  I can’t imagine being their doc week in and out.  Dr. Heczey was telling us how he was using Asa’s case this week to encourage another mother that kids to come the other side of the really hard stuff.  I wish I could give her a hug.  I’m sure victory tastes sweet for not only us.



 We did have opportunity to go and visit other families in the infusion room, check on progress.  It was neat to see friends and forward progress.  God just so reminded me of his faithfulness and provision still in all this long affair by introducing me to another mother from our area with a son with Asa’s cancer with equally a miraculous story.  And it was she who just “stopped to bless” me.  There was another mom and dad glaze-eyed with anxiety with tiny babe and I just wanted to scoop them up and squeeze them tight and tell them that they could do this thing, but sometimes there are just not words, just smiles and shared space and hope in this unfair place where the broken are not always fixed this side of eternity.  It’s hard.

Asa has actually been moved to a two-month regimen now in terms of clinic visits.  We get to see the docs again right before Christmas.  Between now and then, we go for port removal and then a few weeks later, at the crack of dawn, Asa has what we hope to be the last MRI.  The liver team will then look at all his info and the thought is that he will soon after be transferred over to the long-term survivor clinic.

I think it will be with mixed emotions that we will move forward.  Yes, I have my “today we are thankful” list, which includes a boy with lots of fuzzy blonde hair that loves to read books and run us so hard all over the house that we fall in bed exhausted.  I am excited to see God’s provision for our every need in all this. Even on the recovering side, He is covering us, helping us to move baby steps forward toward normal, which I do truly now agree with my friend, Beth, is simply a setting on a dryer.  I am grateful that our life no longer revolves around clinic and counts.  But we are still leaving pieces of us behind.  It’s as if you feel every other parent’s sucker punch in the gut, carry that been there done that grief with every kid, every adult that is brought to the table, which is a lot.  I think this will ever be a moment in life by which everything else is measured, before cancer, during cancer, after cancer.






No comments :

Post a Comment